- Location Walsall, United Kingdom
- Value Confidential
- Size Confidential
- Client Walsall Urban Regeneration Company
- Year 2005
Together with Roger Tym & Partners, Hopkins Architects have developed an Area Framework Plan, which includes a masterplan and a Delivery Strategy for Walsall. This will guide investment by our client, the Walsall Regeneration Company.
The main objectives were to improve well-being and quality of life, generate economic growth and improve the quality of the labour force, regenerate the Town Centre and create sustainable communities.
In recent years, piecemeal development and lack of inward investment in Walsall has lead to a deterioration of the cohesive urban fabric and has contributed to economic and residential flight from the centre. Despite a new art gallery and other initiatives, Walsall has struggled to maintain its profile in an increasingly competitive market place.
The Framework will ensure that regeneration proposals build on, rather than ignoring, the historic fabric of the town and focus on key physical attributes, such as the canal network. Separate areas of the town will be developed to encourage a sustainable community of business, residential and leisure facilities, with a view to creating a sense of identity and place for local people and to link them to a vibrant centre that works for all of the communities of Walsall.
The team has developed a plan that focuses on three parts of the regeneration area:
- Darlaston next to the M6 motorway, which is proposed as a Distribution Park
- Several Community sites, linked along the Walsall Canal, which will provide a variety of housing types
- The Town Centre: engendering civic pride, improving the retail offer and the public realm, developing a mixture of new office and residential accommodation