- Location Southampton, United Kingdom
- Value £13.5 million
- Size 150 acres
- Client Hampshire County Cricket Club
- Year 2001
Hampshire County Cricket Club moved from the restricted urban location they had occupied since 1885 to a 150 acre site on the outskirts of Southampton to establish a centre of cricketing excellence. Cut-and-fill earthworks created a shallow bowl on a naturally sloping site, with space for 10,000 spectators on the terraced slopes. With a ring of trees around the top, the siting of the ground naturally focuses the spectators' attention onto the play within the bowl.
On the southwestern edge of the ground is the curving four storey Members' Pavilion, with a reception space and hospitality suites. A fabric canopy covers the whole building. Behind the Pavilion is the rectangular Cricket Academy, with indoor cricket nets, above changing rooms, a fitness suite and squash courts. A double-height atrium under a translucent foil roof links the Academy and Pavilion.
The masterplan allows for the space between the trees and the terraces to be infilled with extra hospitality tents and stands, as the ground develops. Alongside the main arena is the nursery ground, with its own Pavilion and the Golf Club House.