- Location Sussex, United Kingdom
- Client Goodwood Racecourse Ltd
- Year 2018
Goodwood Racecourse is a significant and widely acknowledged sporting and cultural institution, situated within the South Downs National Park to the north of Chichester. Horse racing was introduced by the third Duke of Richmond in 1802, and ‘Glorious Goodwood’ became a highlight of the summer season during the nineteenth century. The site has seen considerable development over time; in 2000, Hopkins were appointed to develop the Parade Ring to provide modernised facilities for event-goers, the horses, and the BBC.
In 2001, a Champagne Bar was erected on a temporary basis between the March Stand and the Charlton Stand. Our brief was to replace this structure with a purpose-designed pavilion, sitting at a higher level and extending the existing roof terrace of the Double Trigger restaurant underneath. A combined lift and stair element was also to be added to the neighbouring Charlton Stand, providing improved and dedicated accessibility across its three levels.
To provide architectural continuity across the site, the Hopkins-designed existing tensile roofed pavilions from the Parade Ring were used as a precedent given their proven success and suitability. A central servery is surrounded by space for tables but has no enclosing walls to impede views in any direction. The structure radiates from the centre, with two masts supporting a tensile PVC canopy.
To site the new pavilion, the existing terrace was extended to the north to provide covered and open areas for tables and chairs and offer elevated views towards the finish line and back to the horse walk and the Solent beyond. It is connected back to the existing lawn via generous sweeping steps and a discrete platform lift. A second smaller temporary lawn bar provides service to the tables on this level.
These light-touch interventions have seen the completion of a vision started 20 years ago, of a cohesive, legible architectural language from Parade Ring to Finish Line.