- Location Nottingham, United Kingdom
- Value £7.5 million
- Size 3,500 m²
- Client University of Nottingham
- Year 2011
The collection of buildings in University Park Campus, colloquially known as Science City, was first masterplanned by Basil Spence in 1959 and his vision was largely realised by Renton Howard Wood Associates during the 1960s. Since then numerous additions and alterations have been made to suit the ever increasing student numbers and the changing needs of the University.
The proposal for a Learning Centre within Science City acts as a new focal point for the faculties of Engineering and Science, providing much needed study, teaching and social spaces.
Located close to other key social spaces, the new building offers additional café seating space to complement existing catering facilities as well as provide a lively atria 'heart' space which can also be used for exhibitions and functions.
Teaching spaces embrace new pedagogical methods such as group learning in the form of an undergraduate centre, whilst post graduates are provided with their own private facilities. Simply planned flexible teaching spaces, which can be joined to form larger seminar or computer rooms as required and a series of large flat floor lecture spaces accommodating up to 200 people are also provided to complete the variety of academic spaces that the building offers.
The Learning Centre has achieved a BREEAM Excellent rating and is seen as the first phase of the re-development of the Pope Building and the surrounding open space.