The Henrietta Barnett School is located in the heart of the conservation area of Hampstead Garden Suburb. Founded in 1911, the main body of the school is a Lutyens-designed Grade II* Listed building. Subsequent buildings have been created over time around the Lutyens core in an effort to meet curricula requirements, but none have fulfilled the needs of this top performing grammar school. 17 schemes were developed since the early 1960's, but none of them received Planning Permission until our proposals were put forward.
We were originally asked to evaluate the entire school campus, including the refurbishment of two listed buildings, the treatment and use of external spaces, and the need for new buildings. The resulting masterplan proposed reorganising the existing buildings, reducing the need for new buildings to 1,100 m², which was a substantial reduction in massing compared to other schemes.
In order to achieve Planning Permission, we carried out extensive consultations with a number of stakeholders including Barnet Planning Authority, English Heritage, the Hampstead Garden Suburb Trust, the Victorian Society, the 20th Century Society, the Lutyens Trust and CONSAM (Conservation and Amenities Committee).
Headmaster Oliver Blond said "this is an important and long-awaited day in The Henrietta Barnett School's history. We are delighted to be working with Hopkins Architects who have shown great respect for the existing listed buildings and yet managed to generate a superb contemporary solution for our school."
The project was funded from a DCSF grant awarded to the school in March 2008, following a feasibility study and grant application, prepared by the school and the architect.